Monday 24 August 2015

Society and Labels


I remember as a kid hearing about Transvestites for the first time and I remember a feeling of relief that I wasn't alone in the world. I hunted down a dictionary (the days before the internet!) and looked up the word to make sure it was real and instantly I felt I had a name for myself, yet as I heard the world used more in TV programmes and films instantly I noticed the derogatory use of the label as an insult, I discarded the term in referring to myself, I felt more just than a 'Tranny'.

When truly admitting to myself about identity, through research I learned that gender and sexual identity are interchangeable, and that there are many identities that fall within a Transgender spectrum or umbrella. Transgender was simply identifying as a gender different to ones birth but contained many categories:-

I chose a name for myself, that I was a Crossdresser, a name that didn't have the connotations and overtones that went with Transvestites, to me it simply meant someone who wears the clothes of the opposite sex.

Yet I knew this was not sufficient, I knew that it wasn't just the clothes, it was the whole 9 yards, when dressed up I felt female and I needed to be female, but I also needed to return back to being male. I felt almost schizophrenic, a battle of personalities within me. The conflict of personalities would affect my mood and I needed to become Penny, I needed to almost inhabit the identity and embrace that feminine side to me that my male side suppressed.

When I went to counselling about my gender identity, in my quest for my identity my councillor stated that I fell under the definition of a Dual-Role Transvestite ( I wasn't happy with the T-word used but the definition fit), a DRT is defined under the International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems (ICD) under ICD-10 which is the classification of Mental Health Disorders as :-

Dual-role Transvestism (F64.1) has three criteria:

  1. The individual wears clothes of the opposite sex in order to experience temporary membership in the opposite sex
  2. There is no sexual motivation for the cross-dressing
  3. The individual has no desire for a permanent change to the opposite sex  

So was this the final nail in the coffin, did I dress to experience temporary membership as a woman?

I then came across Bigendered people, it seemed a simple solution, in that some days they identified as male, sometimes as female, but could move between the two genders.

Now I feel simply that I am Joe and I am Penny, and when I feel like becoming Penny then female clothing helps me match my inner self to my exterior form, but I am able to shed Penny and become Joe once more.

There is one label for that....'me'.


1 comment:

  1. Crossdressing can save this world.....the truth kept hidden...

    All males in this world have xy genetics...i.e...half male half female...we supress it to act as an Alfa male....this leads to a perpetual frustration ...which accumulates as your hidden unclean wishes....

    Think of your body is made up of two rooms X and Y...and you live in just one room Y...you do not go into other locked one X or clean it...

    If you clean room X...you will discover a completeness in you...your consciousness will rize...you will open up your Dimensions. Buddhism suggests you should be close to plants and trees and then meditate.

    In India it was called ADHYATMA in ancient times.

    Another point is "As above so below".

    Gospel of Thomas. Verse 22. Jesus said to them, "When you make the two into one, and when you make the inner like the outer and the outer like the inner, and the upper like the lower, and when you make male and female into a single one, so that the male will not be male nor the female be female, when you make eyes in place of an eye, a hand in place of a hand, a foot in place of a foot, an image in place of an image, then you will enter [the kingdom]."

    Deuteronomy 22:5 a man is not to wear that which pertains to a woman (...means you should always buy new dress andno should not wear any 2nd hand dress or, worn by women Earlier).

    A women do not have Y genetics ...they will never understand your Crossdressing behavious...so ...never disclose to any women.

    There is a limit to this crossdressing...strictly stop SRS...we all have two tongues...as above so below...jingle bells...Star of David

    ..thanks, Prabhat

    ReplyDelete